Ann Marie DeAngelo has been a major force in dance for over 25 years as an artistic director, choreographer, producer/director and teacher. Former Joffrey Ballet principal dancer, Ms. DeAngelo later becaem it’s Associate Artistic Director at its inception in Chicago. Prior to that, she was Artistic Director of her experimental troupe called Ballet D’Angelo touring Europe extensively; founding Artistic Director of Ballet de Monterrey, the first privately funded arts organization in Mexico. She also has choreographed over 50 ballets. Ms. DeAngelo specializes in project development, is an expert at complex problem resolution, and can skillfully unite and motivate a board, artistic or administrative team. She is Producer and Director of the annual Career Transition For Dancers Gala event, which raises over $1 Million.
DIRECTOR 2000 to Current
DEANGELO PRODUCTIONS (New York, NY)
STAGE DIRECTOR: (selected works)
Thank You, Gregory - A Tribute to Tap Legends (premiered Oct. 2009) with Maurice Hines
GHETTOMADE: A Journey Thru Time - May 2009 Sadlers Wells, London (starring Mr. Wiggles)
IN THE MIX! (a multi-disciplinary dance show workshops began in 2008)
The Empty Cup - 2002 International Dance Center at Kaatsbaan (starring Martine Van Hamel)
The Variety Show–“Jugglin’ Styles” Jan. 2001 Annenberg Center for the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
• Original 70 min. evening with a diverse group of artists including: juggler/illusionist Michael Moschen, hip-hop pioneer Mr. Wiggles, performance artist Ann Carlson, aerial work by Joanna Haigood, Sarah East Johnson’s circus performers, Joffrey Ballet’s Jodie Gates, and former US Team rhythmic gymnast Charlene Edwards.
PRODUCER and DIRECTOR:
Career Transition For Dancers benefit Gala (Event Sponsor is Rolex)
• As director, Ms. DeAngelo is responsible for the concept of the themed evening, selecting performing talent and speakers, and the flow of the show.
• As producer, Ms. DeAngelo hires the production team, musical director, film producers and editors, creates and manages the production budget; hires as needed in areas of production per event.
• Under DeAngelo Productions, Ms. DeAngelo’s staff is also responsible for the general management of the show, and meeting all the needs of participating artists.
• Has presented works by over 50 companies, and over 100 performers participate each year
A HALLOWEEN THRILLER Oct. 31, 2011, City Center (Rolex Award to Nigel Ligthgoe)
25th ANNIVERSARY Nov. 8, 2010, City Center, Host Angela Lansbury
AMERICA DANCES! Nov. 2009, City Center, Host Jacques D’Amboise
ON BROADWAY Oct. 2008, City Center. Host Angela Lansbury
DANCE ROCKS Oct. 2007, City Center. Host Christine Ebersole
ONE WORLD Oct. 2006, City Center. Host Bebe Neuwirth
THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT Oct. 2005 City Center, Host: Liza Minnelli
DANCING ON AIR Oct. 2004, City Center
SHALL WE DANCE Oct. 2002 A Tribute to Richard Rodgers
Richard Rodgers Centennial 2002: Creator of RR2002 Dance Project.
Created dance project, responsible for soliciting dance companies and choreographers to create works to Richard Rodgers’ music; resulting several works created nationally and internationally; resulted in co-production performance evening at City Center honoring Richard Rodgers.
The Hamptons Dance Festival 2000 -2002 (co-director with Cynthia Gregory): Collaboration with Boys Harbor, a performing arts organization in East Harlem, with dancers selected nationally, at East Hampton site. Produced fundraiser – hosted by Chevy Chase.
ASSOCIATE ARTISTIC DIRECTOR; 1994-1999
JOFFREY BALLET (Chicago, IL)
· Re-designed and implemented restructuring for the Joffrey Ballet’s artistic department;
· Created and responsible for artistic budget;
· Facilitated and consulted for one year in New York, with Gerald Arpino and Board of Trustees as part of the Transition Team, before the company made the decision to re-locate to Chicago
· Organized and assisted in selection of talent, programming, casting, scheduling and planning
· Taught ballet class, staged and coached ballets
· Formed and contributed artistic plans for the company’s “re-invention”
· Planned performing seasons and venues in Chicago and touring
· Negotiated contracts for securing dancers and choreographers.
· Works planned or produced during Ms. DeAngelo’s tenure included: Robert Joffrey’s Astarte[ Billboards to music Prince, by Laura Dean, Charles Moulton, Margo Sappington, Peter Pucci; Cante by Alonso King; Frederick Ashton’s The Dream, The Green Table by Kurt Jooss; Gerald Arpino’s Kettentanz, The Nutcracker by Robert Joffrey and Gerald Arpino; Pas des Deesses by Robert Joffrey; Legends by Ann Marie DeAngelo, Laura Dean, Ann Reinking, and Margo Sappington; Les Presages by Leonide Massine;, Gerald Arpino’s Light Rain, La Vivandiere by Arthur St. Leon; Neustros Waltzes, by Vincente Nabrada; Parade by Leonide Massine; Agnes de Mille’s Rodeo, Romeo and Juliet and Taming of the Shrew, by John Cranko, Trinity and Suite Saint-Saens by Gerald Arpino; Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux by George Balanchine; Untitled by Moses Pendleton
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR; 1994-1995
BALLET OMAHA (Omaha, NE)
· Produced full season including Lew Christensen’s Il Distrato, Laura Dean’s Ne Bras Kee; Charles Moulton’s 18 Person Ball Passing, Ann Carlson’s Sold, George Balanchine’s Allegro Brilliant, Mauricio Wainrot’s Ann Frank, and Lilith, by Ms. DeAngelo.
· Spearheaded the concept to expand the role of Ballet Omaha to include ‘presenting,’ thus reducing overhead of a full season company during it’s restructuring.
· The company presented the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago’s first season of the “Nutcracker” in 1995, and later other companies such as the Dayton Ballet.
BALLET DE MONTERREY (Monterrey, Mexico) 1990-1994
Founding Artistic Director of Mexico’s first privately funded arts organization budgeted at $1 million.
· Created artistic and administrative infra-structure (annually salaried company of 21 dancers and 7 seasonal dancers from Cuba and the US)
· Created first outreach program in Mexico
· Choreographed 7 original works including The Nutcracker, commissioned several works including Kevin McKenzie’s Transcendental Etudes, and Ana Merida’s La Luna (a reconstruction); produced classical ballets: Alicia Alonso’s Giselle, Cynthia Gregory’s Swan Lake, Jeffrey Hughes’s Coppelia.
· Initiated The Americas Project, a collaborative venture between “artists of the Americas,” that also promoted training in scenic and lighting design, stage managing, and other production areas by bringing in American experts in those areas.
BALLET D’ANGELO 1984–1989
Conceived, directed and produced her first ballet company, with a mission to work in a cross-pollination of dance genres/styles, and to pioneer new concepts in presenting dance.
· Choreographed dance and composed music for three full-evening productions - Zeitgiest I and II; The Last of the Best, and Gypsie Band.
· Presented audience-accessible evenings of dance that were very popular with the public blending forms such as ballet, modern, tap, street dance together with live musicians, singers and actors.
· Ballet D’Angelo performed to sold-out houses, touring 25 major European cities, as well as the US and Cuba.
ARTISTIC CONSULTANT: (partial list)
Capezio; Dancing Wheels; Adopt-a-Minefield (Paul McCartney supporter); The Joffrey Ballet; Ballet Pacifica and other regional ballet companies; Career Transition For Dancers; Jennifer Muller – The Works; Kaatsbaan International Dance Center; Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization; The Youth America Grand Prix
CHOREOGRAPHER: (full list upon request)
· 2010 The Promise (Shanghai Expo 2010)
· 2010 “I’M REALLY DANCNIG” - new song by Marvin Hamlisch
· 2009 A Tribute to Broadway (Ballet de Monterrey)
· 2009 GETTOMADE: A Journey Thru Time (contributing)
· 2008 La Noche (Ballet de Monterrey, Joyce Theater NYC)
· 2008 IN THE MIX! (Workshop, NYC)
· 2007 P.E.A.C.E. Rosie’s Broadway Kids
· 2007 Jugglin’ Styles II (contributing)
· 2007 Dance Rocks (CTFD Gala)
· 2006 The Guy in the White Shirt Marymount College, NYC
· 2006 Dance Break (Mystical Undines; Personals)
· 2005 Paradise Re-visited, Ballet de Monterrey, Mexico
· 2005 Opening Number (CTFD Gala)
· 2004 The Guy in the White Shirt (workshop) National Choreography Initiative
· 2004 A Glimpse2, re-created for BalletNY
· 2004 Mega 21, Goucher College
· 2003 The Bell Witch (one-act ghost story, original music), Nashville Ballet
· 2003 Walk On starring Mr. Wiggles, Nevada Ballet Theater
· 2002 Ghost Town, Ohio Ballet
· 2002 The Empty Cup, Martine Van Hamel
· 2001 A Glimpse, Oregon Ballet Theater
· 2001 Successful Worry, Ballet Pacifica
· 2000 Nike Nana, Pittsburgh Ballet Theater
· 2000 Blackberry Winter, re-staged for ABT II, Ohio Ballet
· 1999 Blackberry Winter, Ballet Pacifica
· 1999 Crisis, Connecticut Ballet (Zig Zag)
· 1998 Duet, Hamptons Dance Festival
· 1998 Strings, solo for Rasta Thomas
· 1998 Kali Ma, Joffrey Ballet of Chicago
· 1997 Legends, Joffrey Ballet of Chicago
· 1995 Lilith, Ballet Omaha
· 1994 MAYA (mini-opera), Ballet de Monterrey
· 1993 Paradise, Ballet de Monterrey
· 1992 Mademoiselle de Maupin, Ballet de Monterrey
· 1991 PARAISO, Ballet de Monterrey
· 1991 La Traviata, Mexico City Opera
· 1990 The Nutcracker, Ballet de Monterrey
· 1990 Out of Silence, The National Ballet of Cuba
· 1988 Concerto for Elvis, Long Beach Ballet
· 1988 Gypsie Band, Ballet D’Angelo
· 1987 What’s Real, Iowa Ballet
· 1986 Zeitgeist II, Ballet D’Angelo
· 1986 The Last of the Best, Ballet D’Angelo
· 1986 Zeitgiest 1, Ballet D’Angelo
· 1984 Next Time, New Amsterdam Ballet
· 1884 In Kazmidity, Joffrey II Dancers, Ballet Trockedero
· 1984 Midler Medley, Ballet D’Angelo
· 1983 Stay With Me, tour with Maya Plisetsksaya
· 1982 PAVLOVA, CBC film
· 1981 Tribute to Pavlova, stage show
· 1980 La Grande Faux Pas
DANCER: Principal Ballerina, Guest Artist 1972-1997
Joffrey Ballet (10 years), The Joffrey Ballet of Chicago, Ballet de Monterrey, Frankfurt Ballet, Bellas Artes de Mexico City, Royal Ballet of Flanders, Royal Winnipeg Ballet, National Ballet of Cuba, Theatro Municipal, “Stars of World Ballet” (Australian tour), “Stars of American Ballet” (US tour), San Francisco Opera Ballet, numerous regional companies. She has performed in all 50 states.
American Ballet Center, The Joffrey Ballet, Joffrey II Dancers, Ballet de Monterrey, Atlanta Ballet, North Carolina School of the Arts, Ohio Ballet, Pittsburgh Ballet, Ballet Pacifica, ABT Studio Co., Broadway Dance Center, NYC; Steps, NYC, Peridance, NYC, Cedar Lake Dance Ensemble, Kaatsbaan, State Street Ballet, UC Irvine, SUNY Purchase, University of Buffalo, UNLV, Goucher College, DanceFest, Ct.
• Ms. DeAngelo taught ballet class, and was movement coach to Bette Midler.
TV PRODUCTIONS: Creator, Performer
PAVLOVA, Canadian TV; Sesame Street; Dance in America; assistant to Toni Basil for David Bowie’s Glass Spider Tour
New York University: Certificate – Arts Administration
International Coach Academy: Certificate